30 August 2015
We had a lot of fun at AIE Adelaide for Adelaide Game Jam, so thanks to everybody who made a game, or even just stopped by and said hello. If you didn't make it on the weekend (or even if you did!), we've got a great selection of games on the website to help you recreate a little of the Sunday Game Showcase experience in your own home. The AGJ theme this year was Intuition, with a second theme Wheels and Dirt supplied by industry sponsor Odd Games. Saturday morning saw the introduction of a third theme from LD33, "You Are the Monster", which some teams did manage to include!
- Backseat Driver is a game for two players, one on a mobile device or second computer. Drive around the map while the second player gives directions to help you meet your objectives and get a pregnant stranger to the hospital.
- Elemental was the winner of three awards: Best Game, Best Art, and People's Choice. This game was made by a big team, and features a water elemental and an earth elemental who work together to solve some simple puzzles.
- Hue lets you use colour information to hone your intuition about enemies out of your field of view. Hue won Best Design/Gameplay, and got a solid runner-up in best integration of the theme.
- In Darkness is a game made in Codea by one of our new jammers. The winner of Best Programming/Stability, In Darkness encourages the player to use their intuition to navigate around obstacles they can't see.
- Mad Mechs: Furry Road was also a People's Choice winner. In this game, two players face off against one another in a giant mech battle, with a great pixel art style.
- Tea Drinker was made by a team who planned big, and while they didn't quite get the game finished during the jam, they've still got a lot of great things to show off. There may be more of the Tea Drinker franchise available in future.
- The Arcane Wheel + Wild Wagon Wheel were produced by Hulk Handsome, one of our jam regulars. These two games each feature all three of the jam themes, and if you're looking for something fun to play RIGHT NOW in a small amount of time, Wild Wagon Wheel has got you covered. The Arcane Wheel is a little longer with strong puzzle elements.
- Tunnel Drone is a 2D arcade-style game about prospecting for minerals.
We'd also like to mention Crash Me If You Can - the winner of Best Theme Integration and produced by a truly huge team of jammers - and Wheely Dirty, a really cute puzzle game where spinning wheels can help you deposit dirt into buckets and flowerpots. These aren't on the website, but since their teams were still working on them, you might be hearing more about them soon.
To learn more about the great industry-sponsored prizes that some of these games won, visit the AIE website.